Friday, October 24, 2008

Snuggling with Mommy

I feel very blessed to have two cuddly children. Kayla is a morning cuddler. Matthew likes to cuddle at night in his bed. It's very sweet, although sometimes they want to cuddle when it is not the most convenient time. This morning Kayla woke up at 5:15. This seems to be a common occurrence with her lately. When she was an infant she did not get up this early. But these days, she gets up during the 5 o'clock hour several days during the week. Usually, when I hear her calling for me this early, "Mommy....I awake now," I first attempt to ignore her. That is usually followed by, "Mommy....where are you? I awake now. Where ARE you Mommy?" So, then I go into her room and I tell her that it is the middle of the night and that she needs to go back to sleep. Even though I usually get up about 30 minutes later to get ready for work, she is cutting into my precious sleeping time, and as many of you know, I am not the best morning person. Sometimes this works, and I get my 30 extra minutes of sleep. Other days, like this morning, she responds with, "No sleep crib, I want go nuggle on couch." So, I tell her that if we go "snuggle" on the couch she has to try and sleep because Mommy is very tired, and she agrees. We go to the couch and she lays down with me and proceeds to flip around like a fish out of water. When I tell her to lie still, she will for a short time, but two minutes later when I'm drifting off to sleep, she's at it again. So, getting annoyed now, I tell her, "I'm going to take you back to your bed if you don't try to sleep because Mommy is very tired." She responds by crawling up to my face and saying gently, "shhhhh," and then kisses me all over my face. That's it...she's got me. I get a huge surge of love and wrap my arms around her and we giggle together, hugging and kissing. Who needs another 30 minutes of sleep anyway?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dearest,
Thank you for this wonderful blog. It is soul food for grandparents. I feel blessed to be watching your family deal with daily life. It is great to be a part of your world.
Love to you all,
Mom

Nikki said...

I love snuggle time with our babies...even though they are growing up day by day. You are right - no amount of sleep is worth quality snuggle time with your babies. Although...somedays I have to remind myself of that when all I want my kids to do is be quiet & let mommy sleep just one more hour:)