Hallelujah! Kayla pooped in the potty last night for the first time. I'm not sure who was more excited...me or Kayla. Why would I be so excited by this you ask? Well, let's just say that potty training her brother Matthew was not easy. Actually, it was just plain difficult. So, I am thrilled that Kayla is making progress and more importantly is motivated. I actually have a very funny story about potty training Matthew, but I must warn those that are sensitive to potty talk to stop reading now.
So, Matthew had a lot of trouble learning to poop in the toilet. He hated it. He would wait until the last possible minute (sometimes holding it for multiple days), and then he would go to his room and poop in his pants. Not fun. Especially since the toilet is literally 5 feet from his room. We tried absolutely every technique known to man to try and motivate and encourage him, but nothing seemed to work. It was a frustrating time for us all.
Anyway, on weekends we would have Matthew run around naked. He couldn't poop in his underwear if he wasn't wearing any, right? Matthew hadn't gone for a few days, and this particular morning we knew a number 2 would be inevitable. Matthew went poop on the potty, and we were thrilled. But, remember how I said he would hold it for multiple days? That usually meant that when he finally got around to going, one poop for the day would not be enough.
Sure enough about 15 minutes later, Matthew got a very anxious look on his face, and made a little noise that meant he was really worried. Andrew and I exchange glances, and like the superhero that he is, Andrew grabs our son, lifts him up by the waist, and slings his body over his shoulders for the mad dash to the toilet. Keep in mind that Matthew is not wearing anything on his bottom half, which is pointing directly up to the ceiling as they make their way to the bathroom.
If you have ever seen a prairie dog poke its little head out of a hole in the ground, then you can visualize what happened next. Poop comes out of Matthew and plops on the hardwood floor in the hallway, just as Andrew is taking his next step. Andrew steps on the poop, does a Charlie Brown maneuver, and his feet fly out from under him. Luckily Matthew lands on top of Andrew, who unfortunately landed in the poop. It was like a perfectly choreographed scene in some hilariously gross movie. I still can't help but laugh out loud when I picture it. Luckily Andrew has a great sense of humor, too. I think the only one who wasn't laughing was Matthew. Poor guy.
Ah, the adventures of parenting...
3 comments:
Now that is a hilarious story. That made me laugh out loud picturing it!
That cracks me up! I'm just beginning the potty training with the twins and it is DAUNTING! I'm scared! I know it's a little early but I figure it will take a while so I better start now b/4 #3 arrives in May. Wish me luck!
I have read this entry over and over just to have a belly laugh! I actually read it out loud to Mike just so he could have the same giggling sensation!
Post a Comment